11. Traditional Scotch Eggs
Prep Time: 35 min; Cooking Time: 35 min; Total Time: 70 min; Serves: 6
- 6 eggs hard boiled
- 300 g sausage
- ½ cup chopped spring onions
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 whisked eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup cooking oil
How To Prepare
- In a large mixing bowl, add sausage, spring onions, thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Using your hands, mix well to ensure even spread of the spices.
- Divide the mixture into six equal portions and flatten them into 5-inch circles.
- In a large plate, add flour. Season generously with black pepper.
- Dredge the boiled eggs in the flour.
- Place one egg into each of the sausage circles and wrap them with the sausage.
- Place a deep frying pan containing cooking oil on medium to high flame.
- Dip each sausage-wrapped egg in the beaten egg and roll carefully in breadcrumbs until the sausage is covered completely with the crumbs.
- Add one egg at a time to the hot oil and deep fry for 10 minutes or until the crumbs turn deep brown and sausage is completely cooked.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a large plate lined with kitchen towels. Drain the excess oil, if any.