27. Tamatar Shorba
A delicious, tangy blend of tomatoes and coconut milk, it comes spiced with green chilies and cumin seeds. The tanginess of this soup is often offset by the sweetness rendered by the jaggery or molasses.
- Tomatoes – 1 cup, roughly chopped
- Coconut milk – ¼ cup
- Butter – 2 tsp, melted
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – 5
- Bengal gram flour – ½ tsp
- Green chilies – 2, slit lengthways
- Jaggery or molasses – ½ tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Cook tomatoes with 1 cup water until tomatoes turn soft.
- Allow the mixture to cool and then blend into a smooth puree.
- Strain and keep aside.
- Dissolve the Bengal gram flour in coconut milk to form a lump-free mixture and keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a non-stick pan on medium to high flame.
- Add cumin seeds and allow to these splutter.
- Add curry leaves and chilies, and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Mix in the strained puree and coconut milk mixture.
- Add salt, mix well, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the jaggery and cook for a minute or two, stirring intermittently.
- Mix in coriander leaves and serve hot.